It's Friday night and I am almost ready to end this workweek. I know the weekend is full of chores, but I need a change of scenery. Being at home in comfort is exactly what I need.
I am sitting on my countertop drinking a pint of beer, listening to Otis Redding's "Change Gonna Come" and I am content.
His music reminds me of my first trip to the Rocky Mountains in Alberta. Playing his songs in the car while driving through those beautiful green mountains made me smile so much that it brought me into a state of happiness only great music and stunning scenery can provide -- if you're willing to leave everything behind.
All of these elements that seem to reverberate in my head and all of the challenges that came my way these past months make me want to change a few things. Change is gonna come....
That's why I love running. There is always a goal and a great payoff in the end. The change of pace and scenery while running remind me that nothing changes around me unless I move forward.
I am surely running this Sunday and will likely end it by grabbing a cappuccino and paying a visit to my favorite local fruit-and-vegetable market. I intend to make a nice dinner for myself with some vino!
After my run, I will be making this delicious rice-sausage salad for lunch with enough leftover to serve with a simple baked cod-fish for dinner. I got this beautiful Pinot Noir that will go well with the fish. Yes, "white with fish, red with meat" is a cliche'. I do love red wine, what can I say?
I am looking forward to this day. Who else treats me as good as I do? Be good to yourself!
- 2 cups Parboiled-Rice, rinsed
- 4 cups water
- olive oil
- 2 large Italian sausage, sliced
- 1 large red pepper, seeded and cubed
- 3 yellow tomatoes, cubed
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomato, chopped lengthwise
- 2/3 cup padano or parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 fresh lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- seasoning to taste
- In a large saucepan bring rice, water and 1 tbsp olive oil to a boil. Covered.
- When rice is at boiling point, bring down heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until all water is absorbed.
- Let rice stand covered for 5 minutes.
- Fluff rice with fork.
- Cook sliced sausage for 4-5 minutes each side on a well oiled medium heated frying pan.
- Put sausage aside to cool for about 5 miutes.
- Make dressing by combining all ingredients in a tight lid container by shaking. Set aside.
- Combine the rest of the salad ingredients into a large bowl with the rice except for cheese.
- Pour dressing into the salad and mix gently.
- Sprinkle half of the cheese and gently mix it in. Mix in the rest of the cheese into the salad.
You may also add 1 tsp of white truffle oil in the end. This salad refrigerates really well but take it out ahead of time as it is better consumed in room temperature.
- Cod-Fish fillets
- Fresh lemon
- olive oil
- fresh thyme, chopped
- seaoning to taste
- Spanish paprika
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- On a shallow baking dish, drizzle fish fillet with olive oil.
- Rub a bit of fresh thyme on each individual fillet.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the fish.
- Sprinkle a pinch of paprika over fillets.
- Season to taste.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes covered with aluminum foil.
Tip: Let fish stand for 2 minutes and serve over rice salad. Drizzle with olive oil and serve.
Make it a great one!